20070907

Large Catechism 03

Q. But can you tell me what are the works of the devil, the world's vanity and the ill motions of the heart?
A. Whatsoever I or any other do think, speak or do against the will of God revealed by his Word.
Q. What has moved you to forsake the devil, the world and the flesh?
A. For that I have learned and do perceive that these three be the only malicious, spiritual, powerful, subtle and continual enemies of my eternal felicity.
Q. What are the other things that your godfathers and godmothers promised for you?
A. That I should believe all the Articles of my Christian faith; and diligently learn God's holy will and commandments and obediently walk in the same all the days of my life.
Q. Where is this will of God to be learned?
A. Not from mine own fantasy or man's wisdom but only out of the Scripture, which is the word written by his prophets and Apostles in the books of the Old and New Testament, which is sufficient to teach us all things necessary that we need to believe for our salvation.

No comments: