20070906

Large Catechism 02

Q. What did your Godfathers and Godmothers promise for you?
A. They did promise and avow these things in my name, the first was that I should forsake the devil and his works, the pomps, the vanities of this wicked world, and all the sinful lusts of the flesh.

Q. What were you then bound to them, that you have promised to forsake them?
A. Yea verily by the corruption of my nature I am a bondslave to Satan, prone to all vice, having the seed of all sin in me and a condemner of God and of my neighbour

Q. How can you then forsake them or cease to do all evil, being thus bound and prone unto it?
A. Not by any natural power of myself but only by the grace of God hen it is given unto me.

Q. Are you sure you have forsaken them, are you not deceived?
A. I am not deceived; for I hate unfainedly the works of the devil, the world's vanity, all the ungodly manners of every man; and labour by all good means to love the works of god, to follow the godly and endeavour to kill speedily every ill motion but to cherish the good in my heart, by meditation, vows, fasting and prayer.

No comments: